Wednesday, December 05, 2007

'97


The year was 1997 and I was young. 10 years later I'm still fixated on anything and everything that came out that year. And I'm not getting younger, I tell you.


I bet you think '97 was synonymous with that sunken ship movie and its ubiquitous theme song. I can't argue with that- but I'd like to think more of happy thoughts, really. Like, Truly Madly Deeply from that gay guy and straight dude collectively known as Savage Garden who beat Celine's ass at the MTV Asia Hitlist. I couldn't thank them enough for that. They saved my eardrums! Then there was Shania Twain who sang her heart out through You're Still The One.. I couldn't get over that. Or her. Or who could ever forget Natalie Imbruglia's version of Torn? Now, who could ever forget that? Her surprisingly bearable monologue fill in the void Alanis left while on hiatus.


The year ended with Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls and Hanson ruling the year end Top 100. SO what if it was pop? It wasn't as bad like you think it was. I fucking loved it because back then I didn't know about shit. After 19 years of existence, Ive come to realize that the world is not really a happy place to live in. And all I could ever do is listen to songs from '97 because they made me happy. They sure did.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

waaaahhh.. i live in te 90's james!!! nyahahaha.