Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Bigger Peacock



I once went to a store in a place where the population is supposedly predominantly Bisaya. So imagine my horror when the attendant came up to me and asked “Sir, ano po ang hinahanap natin?”

She was speaking in Tagalog. In good grammar, but that’s beside the point.

 Yes, Tagalog. Something that I’ve never really bothered in mastering. Yes, I can think it. And I can very damn well write it. It’s just that I don’t want to hear myself talking and getting flak for sounding too, well, weird.

“I’m sorry I’d rather not speak Tagalog,” I said sheepishly.

It threw her off a little bit, and for a moment got confused as to what language she would have to use.
Do you speak Bisaya?” I asked

She nodded.

“Good.  Magbinisaya ta.”

Welcome to a Southern City in the Philippines, where speaking a certain kind of Tagalog entails a feeling of self-importance.

Going around the city for some research and having talked to some locals, I would notice one thing; a bevy in the young society do have a knack for speaking that grammatically wrong, heavily accented Tagalog. And if I may add, they consider themselves sosyal.

Meet the kolehiyalas.

“Mahiya man ako magjeep”
“Ano nga yung ginsabi mo?”
“Magpunta tayo karon sa Gmall.”

One doesn’t have to be a grammarian to recognize the obvious. And one just has to open his eyes a little more objectively to see where those words are coming from.

I once talked to a girl who said she normally has to turn her Tagalog on when she’s in the mall. According to her, that’s what posh people do.

I, too, would speak that much dreaded language for any Bisaya tongue if I were a native speaker. But for someone who’s obviously not and talking to a fellow non-native, do we really have to risk sounding trying hard and jologs just to make us feel that we’re better than everyone else?

Speaking broken tagalog does not make us sosyal nor better. Neither does going to Gmall.

So why do we have that need to feel that we’re a cut above the rest?

In one of those long days in my previous job in pharmaceutical sales, some people from other drug companies certainly do have attitude just because they claim they’re from a “better” company.

“Miss, are you from ?”
“Yes, why?” She snootily answered.
“Nah, nevermind.”

Looking back now, she might’ve thought I was trying to hit on her. She might’ve also forgotten what her face looks like.

I was, like, dafuq?

Sometimes the ugliest girls do really have the ugliest attitudes.

There was also a time when I have spoken with a doctor who looks down on flight attendants just because they’re “just dumb flight attendants” and he was “a doctor.”

I was greatly offended for I have known smart people from that industry -smart enough to be doctors themselves. And yet, here’s a doctor whose intelligence in questionable and whose face is, well, indescribable.

Rumor has it that he took the boards 4x and yet he has never eaten his share of humble pie.

For all I know, his unabashed audacity just stems from his frustrations.

How many times have we encountered pricks simply because they’re titled and they’re “so much better than everyone else”?

Reality is, people who think they’re better than everyone else are actually not. Read: there is a reason why some young and unloved female lawyers put on a Gandang-Ganda sa Sarili Facade with overzealous confidence.

One pattern I’ve noticed while working in my previous job, is that pretty doctors tend to be the most gracious, kind and accommodating.  And the ones with the good attitude even if they’re not conventionally pretty become more and more beautiful once you get to know them. On the other hand, kung sino pa nga yung alanganin, yun pa ang nagsusuplada.

Over-compensation for the things we lack in would only makes us look hopeless than we already are.

At times we find ourselves laughing at people who mispronounce words. We think it’s hilarious. We then take pride in being “superior.”  But if we really are better people, instead of laughing, shouldn’t we help and correct that poor little chap who mixes his f’s and p’s?

The recently concluded elections just brought out the holier than thou attitude in us. Uh newsflash, not voting for Nancy Binay don’t make us the chosen ones.  I was the only one in our precinct who voted for Dick Gordon last presidential elections but doesn’t give me the right to call all those who did not vote for him stupid.

Seriously though, we are not better than we think we are.

And it seems like everyone’s so busy in trying to one-up each other, but really, aside from those bragging rights, what does having a flashier peacock brings to the table?

No comments: