Friday, March 28, 2014

Boodmo



At thirteen I thought paradise would be lounging at the beach with a beer on my hand watching the most perfect 4D experience; the waves crashing, the sun setting, and reality shut and kept somewhere else. I didn’t even like beer then. And my biggest woe was not being able to watch my favourite show on a Friday night.  

Back then, the coolest thing ever would be doing what my childhood hero was documenting week after week on a national daily. It wasn’t  Kurt’s artistry and eventual demise, not Gael’s cinematic triumphs, and not even Che’s aventuras de motocicleta, but what this little gringa wanderer did on the face of the earth; she lived life. And lived to tell the tale.

I won’t give out her name. Let’s just keep it that way.

So a decade later, on my birthday weekend, at 4 pm, on a happy hour, I drank beer on the beach, watched the waves and the sun set. Looking back, I must say things have been working out the way I envisioned it to be. At times, it did feel a little bit of a slow burn, but not getting what I want on a specific time has only taught me patience.  And for that, i think I can sit still now, a few minutes more than someone with attention deficit.

At 6 pm, I was guzzling down cocktails with a friend and a Scandinavian divorcee. In some drink whose name I couldn't even remember, I realized that it wouldn't hurt to try out new things once in a while. Out of your comfort zone, is where the magic happens. Like some fancy tequila-based whatnot, would it kill me if I drink out of a martini glass instead of a shot glass? Nope. But it did make me appreciate what i have with rum. And what I have in life.

In Scandinavia, she ranted out the sad fact that they didn’t have mangoes. And that her marriage was ending. I told her to go to Italy and India and Bali, and maybe write a book, and think of herself like she’s some kind of a paler Julia Roberts. And if all else fails, happiness could come in a form of a peach mango pie or a Mango Mania Krusher or just plain mangoes.

I would have suggested her to do a female version of Around The World in 80 Girls but I don’t think she’s up for that.Wherever she is now, prolly in Boracay, I wish her the best lays days of her life.

At 8 pm, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there’s another set of happy hours. Like, being on an island doesn’t give out that much happiness already.  

Talking about random things over aged rum with old friends and new ones and getting surprised at the wisdom we never knew we have is just priceless. Appreciating your differences and being grateful for friendships that withstood time and geographical boundaries made every shot sweeter. Seeing Spanish volunteers put their life on hold on the other side of the world to help out the typhoon victims has restored my faith in humanity.  Witnessing people with so little and yet so happy only affirmed my disdain towards material culture.

Every time i’m in a new island, at a beach somewhere on this archipelago, getting lost, I know I have made her proud. For it is when you’re lost that you find yourself. 

Paradiso doesn’t have to be synonymous to white sand beaches and turquoise seas. In my case, I live near it – Paradise, the village. My crib may not be the fanciest, but it has enough character for every bonito struggling artist waiting for a muse to get inspiration from. I know I've made this choice. I may not be happy at times, but who is?

At the end of the day, when the hangover is gone and reality draws you back in, you realize, happiness is a choice. And paradise is a state of mind. So let’s drink to that. Boodmo.

No comments: